Children & Youth
The childhood years can be a stressful time for children and their families. The Registered Doctoral Psychologists at Chartier Arnold Shimp & Associates who work with children, youth, and families can help.
What types of issues can be addressed in child assessment and/or therapy?
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Learning Disorders
- Mood problems
- Separation anxiety
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Parental separation and divorce
- Adjustment and coping-related issues
- Medical issues
- Concussion, brain injury
- Seizure disorder
- Family conflict
An assessment assists in providing a diagnosis and treatment planning for your child. It can assist in securing any additional educational resources your child may need as well. In addition to general psychological assessment, we are also pleased to provide neuropsychological and developmental assessments for children and adolescents that can be valuable for determining diagnosis, identifying thinking and learning strengths and weaknesses for school planning, and to help determine appropriate interventions.
Common questions or concerns indicating the need for a psychological / neuropsychological or neurodevelopmental assessment:
- I think my child's language is delayed, how will this impact his/her learning?
- How is my child's neurological condition impacting their learning?
- What learning accommodations and/or modifications does he/she need?
- My child has issues making and keeping friends, what is going on with him/her?
- Does he/she need interventions to help with this?
- My child is very inattentive, disruptive and oppositional. Is there something that explains his/her behaviours?
- My child had problems with reading in school, why? What can I or the school do to help?
- My child has been receiving treatment and school accommodations for his/her neurological condition, have these interventions improved his/her functioning?
- I don't understand why my child is having problems focusing. I cannot tell if it's his/her low mood or if there are other concentration problems present?
Help your child today - call Chartier Arnold Shimp & Associates. Call our firm and speak with one of our child psychologists who will guide you through the best way to help your child.